The M570 is the successor to the Logitech Trackman Wheel that many people know and love. Despite the good reviews people left about the Trackman Wheel, and the fact that it sold well, Logitech decided to discontinue it and replace it with the wireless-only M570.
Overall the new version is very similar to the old, but there are a few important differences. The first main difference is in the appearances… the traditional grey mouse with red trackball is now a very dark grey mouse (almost black) with a blue trackball. The M570 is also a tiny bit smaller than the old model, which about 2% of reviewers noticed and complained about.
The fact that this new model is only available with a wireless receiver is also a big difference, but it’s actually not a bad thing. It uses what Logitech calls their “Unifying” USB receiver, which is actually very small (it barely sticks out from your port), and a single receiver can power multiple wireless Logitech devices.
The M570 also has two new buttons, next to the left-click button, for moving Back and going Forward when browsing websites or documents. Most people who reviewed this mouse liked these new buttons and found them very convenient and non-intrusive.
If you are short on desk space, or need to use your mouse on varying surfaces, a this device is for you. Remember that with a trackball mouse the actual device itself never moves, just your fingers do, so it’s perfect for tight work spaces and you could even use it on the couch.
It uses only one AA battery for power and Logitech claims a full battery will last you 18 months of use. Now we’re all used to companies exaggerating things about their products, especially something like battery life, but after reading a ton of real user reviews of this mouse we saw that pretty much everyone didn’t have to replace the battery for at least a full year. Even people who use the mouse all day every day said they couldn’t believe how long it lasted.
After reading through hundreds of user reviews, here are the most common pros and cons mentioned:
- It’s ergonomic design is very comfortable and can relieve discomfort.
- Both desktop and laptop users say this mouse works great for them.
- A lot of people like it so much that they buy more than one.
- It averages a 4.5/5.0 rating after almost a thousand reviews online.
- Its’ a tiny bit smaller than the Trackman Wheel that it replaces, so some people with large hands say it was slightly uncomfortable or took some getting used to.
- A small number of reviewers thought it was made of cheap materials, and should be higher quality.
- Some people said the trackball accumulates dirt and dust and needs to be cleaned every so often.
- Some CAD users reported the center scroll wheel button to be a little annoying because it’s a little hard to click and makes a noise.
Overall we think the M570 is a great choice for the money, with a retail price of $59.99.